Monday, October 21, 2013

For the record

We often joke about how absurd things usually happen to us. How little annoyances (spilling things, running into things) seem to attach themselves to us, always. This weekend gave us a break. Almost every moment was just perfect. I kept thinking, this one is for the record books.

My parents watched the babe for us Saturday night. I dropped him off at their place around noon on Saturday (p.s. he is six months old today, 6 MONTHS!!). On my way home my favorite radio program was just beginning, The Splendid Table. I have loved this show for years, catching it here and there. But it hit me on Saturday that I really love it. So for the next thirty minutes in the car I was hanging on to every word - about Italian holidays, French books, how to make different herb salts. I loved the interview with Daniel Boulud, the questions asked by Dorie Greenspan.

It was our first cool weekend - in the high 60s. There is something so great about feeling the cooler weather and thinking, I got through another summer. Every year I feel like this. We spent most of the afternoon walking around, on one of our favorite streets. Popping in and out of restaurants, shops. Found a used book store we had never been in. Their fiction section was pretty amazing. We bought a print for the nursery. Over dinner we drank a bottle of rose and heard all of our favorite 80s songs. Austin is good like that.

We picked up some ice cream on the way home and ate it in bed. Slept for almost 12 hours. And I kept repeating to myself, oh the glory of it all.