Wednesday, January 15, 2014

A radio, a pair of slippers

Steven gave me a radio for Christmas. A beautiful, vintage (looking) radio. For the past year I have been obsessed with the idea of having a radio in our kitchen. Just a little old device that you have to turn a knob to find a station. I have to tell you - turning on the radio and finding a good station has really improved my time spent in the kitchen. Since having a baby I feel like I am always at the sink washing something. At first it was sweet (oh the cute bottles!) but now I dread, dread, dread washing all the little pieces of equipment. But when you hear sweet little ditties coming from a spot that used to emit pure silence, everything feels a bit better. I have placed it on the top shelf of a bookshelf that holds my cookbooks. A book end if you will.


I'm sure I have written about rituals before. But lately they have been giving me such a sense of relief, of consistency. When I come home in the evenings I turn on all of our lamps, then do a bit of tidying up. Before bed I pour myself a glass of sparkling water (with a straw!). In the morning I pour us cups of coffee. These things I can make happen, want to happen, look forward to happening.


I feel like such an adult, living in a house (a detached home, two stories!). I think I need to buy a pair of slippers or something to keep my feet warm on the cold tiles downstairs (every adult owns a pair of slippers I have been told.) There are things to do, many things, to keep up a house. And I try to find delight in all of them.


The other day we admitted to each other that we are burnt out. It felt so good to acknowledge it, to not feel so alone knowing that the other was feeling the stress too.


I have a picture to show you of a bowl of oranges. With the prettiest little sun shining right on it. But it won't upload.


I have started a second blog. Some winter kitchen notes if you will.
http://fortheseasons.blogspot.com/














No comments: